Now to get an amazing Instagram feed, you need awesome content. And to get awesome content you need awesome pictures…so…here’s a list of the best cameras for Instagram.
“But there’s hundreds of cameras out there… where should I start?”
“How do I know which one is right for me?”
“They all claim to do different things so which is best for Instagram?”
Well, hopefully by the end of this post you’ll be able to answer at least one, if not all of those questions.
When it comes to taking the best Instagram pictures, you need to choose a camera which isn’t just perfect for you but is also suited to the pictures you’re taking.
Before you panic, that doesn’t mean you need a different camera for every day of the week or a different camera depending what room you’re in.
But it means that you need to put in a bit of research before you justg go choosing the camera that looks the cutest (Yes, that’s what I used to do)…or has the most reasonable price.
So, I’ve put together a list of pretty awesome cameras with a little bit about each one underneath.
Each of the best cameras for Instagram is slightly different but some do have the same features as another. So one might have an awesome zoom and another is perfect for travel, but they both have wifi and look pretty cool…
Before we go into each type of camera, I’m gonna super quickly explain a little bit of the camera jargon out there, because it took me a little while to get my head around…
ISO is basically how sensitive your camera is to the light. So the higher the ISO, the more sensitive it is.
This basically means that a higher ISO will take better pictures in lower light, whereas in brighter environments, your pictures could end up looking a little grainy… and Instagram won’t like that.
The aperture refers to how much light can enter the camera. The difference in aperture affects how focussed the image is.
You’ve seen those pictures where one small thing on it is super sharp and the background seems blurry, yeah? Well that’s due to the aperture.
The wider the aperture, the more light can enter the camera and more of the image is sharp. If you use a lower aperture, a smaller amount of the image is sharp.
Make sense? Ok… let’s move on.
This one is a bit easier… A slow shutter speed allows more light to enter the camera and so these are super awesome for night photos or photos in dim light.
A high shutter speed kinda freezes your image so is better for higher quality pictures.
So when you’re choosing a camera and you come across those phrases above, you should have a better idea of what they mean now, right?
Okay, so on to the cameras!
For each one I will cover the main features but not every feature. If I told you every single feature, you’d be reading this for days…
Just because we started with a bit of technical stuff, I’ll throw this one in first to get all that stuff done and dusted.
Best Cameras For Instagram
1. Best Mirrorless Camera
A mirrorless camera is basically what it says on the tin… A camera with no mirror. And by no mirror, I mean the mirror in the optical path.
These cameras tend to come with a few interchangeable lenses and are generally smaller than the DSLR cameras due to the fact they don’t use a mirror.
- 4K Video recording
- 3inch tilt angle display
- Automatic brightness adjustment function
- Baseline frame rate of 60fps
- Dual SD card slots
- Battery life 1000 shots
- Fast autofocus
2. Best Camera Under £500
Whilst £500 might seem a bit on the pricey side for Instagram pictures, if you’re serious about how your photos are going to look then it’s actually pretty cheap.
Like with any cheaper product, you won’t find all of the features you might want, buuuuut it’s still pretty impressive for the price.
- 3 inch LCD screen
- 5 fps continuous shooting
- ISO 100-12800
- HD video
- Small and compact
- Battery life – 700 shots
- No wifi unfortunately
3. Best Camera for Travel
From action shots to family photos and landscapes, you want a camera that’s suited to all of those. Well, look no further…
- 65x zoom
- Capture ultra wide landscapes
- Zoom Framing Assist to keep your subject in the frame
- Shoot images in any light with IS and HS system
- Fast response and sustained continuous shooting
- Wifi connectivity
- Full HD movies
4. Best Smartphone Camera
Sometimes you’ll see the perfect photo opportunity, but no camera in sight… But wait… All is not lost…
Calling all smartphone cameras… And this is the best:
• Splash, water and dust resistant
• 158.2mm x 77.9mm x 7.3mm
• Available in 32GB, 128GB and 256GB
• 5.5” Retina HD Multi touch display
• 1920×1080 pixel resolution
• 12MP wide angle and telephoto camera
• 4K video recording at 30 fps
• Optical zoom and digital zoom up to 10x
• Tap to focus with focus pixels
• Body and face detection
• Auto HDR & image stabilisation
5. Best DSLR Camera
Suitable for both the beginner or expert, DSLR cameras shouldn’t be under estimated.
With changeable lenses and high quality shots, here’s my top pick:
• ISO 100-16,000
• Wifi connection
• Viewfinder with 100% coverage
• Full HD 1080/60p movies
• 18-55mm lens available
• Headphone socket and microphone port.
• Weather resistant body
6. Best Camera with Live Preview Screen
Why just use the viewfinder when you can use a screen?
Nikon D750 (Available from October 18 2017)
- 2 Inch LCD Tilt-Screen
- Wifi connectivity
- Clean performance across all sensitivities with top sharpness and tonality.
- ISO of 100-12800 and extendable to 50-1200
- Full HD movies at 50p/60p frame rates with reduced noise and false colour.
- Weather sealed, lightweight and energy saving design
- Battery life – 1230 images and up to 55 minutes of footage
7. Best Camera for Whitebalance
Save time editing with a camera that adjusts the balance for you. Phew…
• Wifi connectivity
• Perfect upgrade from a compact or a smart phone
• Improved processor which also features in the high end Sony Alpha A7 and RX10
• Centre weighted and spot metering modes included
• Full HD video recording
• LCD screen can be flipped to face forward.
• Can be controlled via smart phone or tablet through the Sony PlayMemories App.
8. Best Tough Camera
Remove the limits! Whether it’d underwater or your kids in charge of the camera, you can’t go wrong with this one. It’s almost EVERYTHING proof.
• Waterproof to 15m
• Shockproof to 2.1m
• Crushproof to 100kg
• Freezeproof to -10C
• Wifi connectivity
• Underwater HDR
• RAW recording
• 112mm x 31mm x 66mm and 245g
• Perfect for any environment
9. Best Budget Camera
Yes, it’s still possible to buy a decent camera without breaking the bank…
• Wifi connectivity
• 7.4 fps continuous shooting
• 40x optical zoom
• Tilting LCD screen to take awesome viewpoint shots.
• Comfortable to hold
• Backside illumination CMOS sensor
• Powered by AA batteries so you can use it anywhere and everywhere!
• High performance vibration reduction to get the perfectly still, clear image
• Control with your smart phone or tablet.
10. Best Zoom Camera
Whether it’s more detail you want or whether you’re trying to capture those distance shots, zoom is what you need…
• 40x optical zoom
• Full HD 60p video camera
• Wifi compatibility
• Hybrid Auto and Creative Shot allows you to take full creative control or just point and shoot.
• Perfect for travel with lightweight design
• 24mm ultra wide angle for wide scenery shots or group pictures!
• Optical Image Stabilizer for super sharp images
• Zoom Framing assistant adjusts the level of zoom to keep your subject in the frame.
11. Best Wi-fi Camera
Because everyone needs wi-fi nowadays, right?
Cut out time transferring photos from your camera to the computer… upload photos straight from the camera to your phone or tablet!
• Pocket sized camera with bright lens, large sensor to capture quality photos with ease.
• HD 60mp movies with creative control.
• Connect to your smart phone or tablet to shoot remotely and share or backup.
• ISO up to 12,800
• Optical Image Stabilizer
• Capture high quality images in low light conditions
So, I’ve explained some features of the best cameras for Instagram but not all of them. And even though I’ve chosen these 11 cameras, make sure you get the one to suit you best.